Application synchronization failed for Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService.
Reason: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
The following worked with me , i hate to say this but i have no clue what went wrong and why this started working .
In order to get search working i did the following steps and all other options didn't worked even given here in microsoft discussion group
- Start the search using Central Adminsitration -> Operations -> Services on Server ->Click "Start" for "Office SharePoint Server Search "
- Select only "Use this server for serving search queries". Provide credentials and Press "OK". This should atleast start the search service
- Now go back go Central Adminsitration -> Operations -> Services on Server ->Click Link "Office SharePoint Server Search"
- Select "Use this server for indexing content" too and provide credentials and Press OK
- This was start indexer too
- Now go forward and create a new SSP. Now you will see indexer available in dropdown
Hope it works for others too.